Enchilada Sauce. My favorite recipe for homemade red enchilada sauce! It's surprisingly easy to make, and makes just about any enchiladas taste delish! Learn how to make enchilada sauce in this recipe video.
Here is an easy and delicious homemade Tex Mex enchiladas recipe. The easy red enchilada sauce and beefy cheesy goodness will make this a family favorite. Once you try this enchilada sauce recipe, you'll never buy canned again! You can have Enchilada Sauce using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Enchilada Sauce
- Prepare 4 of large dried California pepper pods.
- You need 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- Prepare 28 ounces of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of whole leaf dried oregano.
- You need 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of extra dark cocoa powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare 4 cups of water plus more for thinning if necessary.
- Prepare As needed of brown sugar if the peppers scorched during toasting.
If you love enchiladas as much as I do, then making homemade enchilada sauce from scratch is a must! Although most people think of enchilada sauce as "red," they also come in white and green varieties. There are lots of different ways that you can make an enchilada sauce. An enchilada (/ˌɛntʃɪˈlɑːdə/, Spanish: [entʃiˈlaða]) is a corn tortilla rolled around a filling and covered with a savory sauce.
Enchilada Sauce step by step
- Boil the water. Remove the skin from tomato. Dice the tomato and set aside..
- Heat a skillet dry. Toast the peppers till just fragrant. Set aside add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic to the skillet to toast also..
- Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Add the peppers to the boiling water for 20-30 minutes covered. This will rehydrate and soften your peppers..
- Add the peppers and liquids in the peppers, to a blender. Now add the oregano, onion, salt, cumin, garlic, and tomatoes, to a blender. Liquidfy the ingredients..
- In a skillet heat the oil. Pour the ingredients from the blender into the hot skillet with the oil in it. Stir in the chocolate..
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. It should be not thin, but just a bit thick, like a tomato ketchup..
- It may not be super delicious on its own. If it's too bitter add a little brown sugar at a time till the bitterness is toned down. It should taste good allowing the sauce and food you put it on compliment each other..
- Serve I hope you enjoy!!!.
Enchiladas can be filled with various ingredients, including meats, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables or combinations. Enchilada sauce is one of my very favorite things, ever. I love when it soaks into tortillas while This EASY red enchilada sauce is not an authentic, from-dried-chile-peppers enchilada sauce that you'll. For the best red enchilada sauce there are some important steps you need to take and several ingredients you need to use and avoid How to Make the BEST Enchilada Sauce! Enchilada Sauce is a must-have staple of Mexican cuisine that will enhance any Tex-Mex or Mexican dish.